Re: XForms: Can't get pipes to work right. Solved echo half, not the other

Jeff PIerce (piercej@preferred.com)
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 19:54:18 -0400

Thats exactly right T.C. I found this in Stevens just before I read your
e-mail...

By ansi definition streams stdin and stdout are FULLY buffered, if they
do not refer to an interactive device. I other words the buffer has to
fill or use an fflush() before output is actually done....I thought a
pipe on stdin/stdout would be an interactive device since it would take
the place of a terminal....

So either use a fflush(), set to line buffering using setvbuf() or turn
off buffering completly using setbuf()if your prgram MIGHT be used as a
child process...

I get so confused.

Oh well, it's going to be a beatiful night. The heck with computers and
software... Time to mount the bike, put some Allman Brothers in the
stereo and ride about 100 miles over gorgeous mountain roads for some
great BBQ and forget the world's problems....

T.C. Zhao wrote:

> It probably has something to do with buffering.
>
> --- Jeff PIerce <piercej@preferred.com> wrote:
> > # To subscribers of the xforms list from Jeff PIerce
> > <piercej@preferred.com> :
> >
> > While doing 80 mph down the road on my motorcycle it suddenly dawned
> > on
> > me why the pipe was echoing.... I think of the damnest things at the
> > damnest times :-).....
> >
> > On the same pipe set 0 is hooked to 1, Duh..... Another head up butt.

DELETED DELETED

Jeff Pierce
piercej@preferred.com