RE: XForms: 32 bpp: it does make sense!

Michael Glickman (michaelg@linx.com.au)
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 18:07:33 +1000

Sorry, but 32 bits per pixel does make sense.
One thing is the number of bits per pixel (i.e.
screen depth), another thing is how many bits
are actually used to represent the colour.

In this case we have 32 bits per pixel, but only
24 bits are actually used for the colour. You may
argue that 8 extra bits for each pixel is just a
waste of video memory. However, the fact that
each pixel requires exactly one 32bit word,
makes it easier and more efficient for programming
the video frame buffer.

Some cards and XServers (including XFree86)
support both 24bit and 32bit modes, that effectively
is the same, but 24bit should be all right (at least
I don't have troubles with it).

I wonder, where xdpyinfo get significant bits in color
specification. It could be a part of Visual structure.
This could give a clue to the actual number of bits
used for colours. Anyway it is better than hardcoding:
"32bits is equivalent to 24bits"

Regards, Michael