Re: XForms: Problems with image functions

T.C. Zhao (tc_zhao@yahoo.com)
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 01:31:41 -0700 (PDT)

--- Frank Hartung <F.Hartung@material.physik.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:
> # To subscribers of the xforms list from Frank Hartung
> <F.Hartung@material.physik.uni-goettingen.de> :
>
> Hi,
>
> I am using XForms Version 0.89 on Linux (glibc2.1) and Digital Unix.
> The
> X-Server on the machines work in Pseudocolor Mode. I found some the
> image support doesnt work right in all situation. I found so far the
> following things (most tests done with 8 and 16bit grayscale images).
>
> 1. The FL_IMAGE field sh und sw doesnt work right in
> flimage_display.
> sh is ignored. sw does clipping in both directions. This was tested
> with
> version glibc2.1 / Sep 27 and Digital Unix 4.x by changing the
> ibrowser.c program (insert a image->sh/sw = (float)image->h/w / 2.0
> in
> load_and_show function and load an image).

This is fixed as of Oct. 2, 1999. I've updated linux-i386
(all flavors) and dec-alpha version of xforms.

> 2. flimage_display ignores fl_set_clipping window and draws always
> the
> whole image (glibc2.1 / Sep 27).

Image has its own GCs because image support is more general
(you can display the same image to different windows, different
displays etc). To set a clipping, you need to use
fl_set_gc_clipping(), which is now documented. (document
is also updated on bragg).

> 3. flimage_display has problems with double buffering. I used
> flimage_display in a cavanas and the image was always drawn direct to
> the screen (also in double buffer mode).
I'll look into this a bit more. It may be difficult
to get hold of the back buffer pixmap in Expose event
as the back buffer pixmap is an xform invention, not
part of X event.

> 4. flimage_display writes on screen when form update (fl_form_...) is
> disabled.

More or less the same problem as 3. When flimage_display()
is called, the only thing it gets is a window ID, which
may or may not be a canvas. I think what's really needed
is an image_canvas of some kind that's built on top
canvas and flimage and fully understands what's happening
on xforms terms. I'll think about this. In the meantime,
you can use canvas->form->frozen to check if an update
is needed.

=====