RE: XForms: Grid - another approach

Michael Glickman (michaelg@linx.com.au)
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 15:40:53 +1000

Two other ways to emulate grid with XForms:

Approarch 1. Browser and frame
- You have a hold browser with fixed width font
(so that the fields will look like columns)

- You have a frame with a set of input fields
inside that replicate current browser line
and are used for editing.

It uses much less objects and (what is probably
more important) you are not limited by the number
of lines.

Approach 2. Matrix of labels and moving input.
More complex and limited to number of lines,
but have a better appearence.

Instead of having a matrix of input objects, you
have a matrix of labels, and a single input control.
Make it raised, so that it obscures all the labels.
You provide an event handler for the form, or put
hidden buttons on the top of labels, Therefore using
arrow keys or clicking a label will make it current,
i.e. input control moves on the top of it. From the
user's point of view it looks like changing input
focus.