Re: XForms: Why xforms?

David J. Singer (doc@jaunte.freeserve.co.uk)
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 17:18:24 +0000

On Tue, 09 Nov 1999, you wrote:

> I'm experienced user of Qt and GTK, but i must do a
>app for university using xforms. I like the way of
>forms, but i wonder why i must choose xforms as
>library for development under X11?

I used to use xview (the Sun OpenWindows toolkit) for all my GUI based
apps. xview is great - it works on many levels. It's dead easy to pick
up and use on a simple level, but can do lots of clever things when you
dig deeper.

I migrated to XForms for exactly this reason. XForms is very easy to pick
up (particularly if you have GUI experience already), has some
fantastic features and seems (at least to me) quite mature and stable.
The GUI builder program 'fdesign' is also a huge benefit, reducing the
time taken to build an interface dramatically.

Qt was a non starter for me - I dislike C++ and GTK, although it can
produce some very nice interfaces, seems highly over-complicated.

Just my opinions.

--
David J. Singer
doc@jaunte.freeserve.co.uk