Re: XForms: Threadsafe

From: Steve Lamont (spl@blinky.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 09:32:39 EDT

    > I didn't even think of it, but in fact I designed everything as if
    > XForms were threadsafe.
    > BUT IT IS NOT! Now I have some mysterious lockups and I traced them to
    > this kind of problem.

    I don't think it ever was purported to be so.

    > The possible solutions are:
    > a) rewrite everything with another lib that is threadsafe
    > b) fix XForms
    > But to fix XForms I need the source code! What about letting me do this
    > kind of modification? Or maybe there is a threadsafe version in the works?
    > Thanks for any suggestion.

    To fix XForms, you'd also have to fix the entire X Window System, too
    -- it is not thread safe to the best of my knowledge. There are some
    extensions in X11R6 for multithreading but they are kind of crufty, if
    memory serves. Different threads all trying to communicate with the X
    Server will confuse it -- resulting in the dreaded "async error."

    On the other hand, I have written a threaded application which uses
    XForms and X. The trick is to sequester all of the X and XForms calls
    into a single thread and let the other threads go about their business
    independently. It's not a perfect solution but about the only one
    which will work without a major revamping of not only XForms but also
    the entire X Window System.

                                                            spl