XForms: Xforms with C++

From: Javier Traver (vtraver@inf.uji.es)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 09:50:23 EDT

    Hi everybody,

    I took the example "itest" of Xforms V0.89 and started to make changes
    to customize it to my needs. Particularly, I was changing the contents
    of "itest.c".

    Everything went smooth and fine until I tried to use C++. Then the
    compiler started to generate warnnings and error messages that I could
    hardly avoid.

    I have some C++ classes that I wanted to integrated into the "itest"
    program.
    I included the ".hpp" header files directly into the "itest.c". Then I
    changed "itest.c" to "itest.cpp" and used the compiler "g++" in the
    Makefile. Neither of these things seemed to work.

    So, my questions are:

    1. Is it possible to "integrate" my C++ classes (they have nothing to do
    with Xforms, they're my problem-specific classes) into a XForm program
    (such as itest). [The Xforms manual says that "the routines can be used
    both in C and C++ programs]

    2. If the answer is yes, how should I proceed?

    3. My needs are quite simple: I want a GUI system mainly for images
    visualization (of course, "xv" and the like does not suit my need). At
    the moment I do not need many additional features. I found FL_IMAGES in
    Xforms an easy and attractive option, but given the problems with C++ I
    am having, I'd like to know if there exists some other GUI library that
    helps me (for easy image visualization, and the possibility of including
    C++ in a clean way). Do you happen to know of some interesting
    alternative?

    Any help would be very welcome.

    Thanks a million

    Javi