Re: Re: XForms: spreadsheets and more

From: Matthias Rarey (Matthias.Rarey@gmd.de)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 03:04:53 EDT

    Steve, maybe I can get another comment from you concerning the formbrowser:

    I tried to make a spreadsheet using the formbrowser with one form per row
    and about a hundred rows. This just works fine, however, as you have
    already assumed, I get some flickering during scrolling (Linux on a
    300 MHz Pentium II). For some reasons, I have the feeling that this is
    a software problem:

    - scrolling up works fine, only scrolling down causes flickering
    - the number of forms in the browser has nearly no influence (I tried
      it with 30 and 100 forms and it looked basically the same)
    - I tried double-buffering on the formbrowser and all included forms with
      no success
    - When I press the 'arrow down' button below the vertical slider of the
      formbrowser, you can actually see that the complete browser is cleared
      and the content is redrawn afterwards. Pressing 'arrow up' does not
      show this behaviour.

    I have the feeling that I can't do very much about it, but that you
    probably can. Maybe a simple fl_freeze_form at the right places of the
    formbrowser code will already do the job. Do you see an easy way to
    improve the formbrowser at this point? If yes, I can continue my
    software development and wait for next Forms release.

    Thanks in advance for your help,

            Matthias