Re: XForms: Problem noifying end of input.

From: Steve Lamont (spl@ncmir.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 09:40:39 EST

    > This could be a useful trick in hacking around this problem. It does
    > highlight the fact I'm not alone in being affected. It seems silly to have
    > people hacking around the problem especially as it's non-trivial to do; it
    > would be much better to have a proper fix.

    I'm not sure I understand the problem. If the input is unterminated
    (with a Return or Tab) then why should a callback be invoked?

    As I mentioned before, a better, and in my opinion, more general
    solution if for the application to simply read out the contents of the
    Input objects in question when some "do it" action is initiated and
    process them then. That way the luser can jump between inputs if
    necessary as they fill out the form without the application generating
    extraneous callbacks -- or annoying the luser with error messages for
    input that they have only partially entered.

    In all the XForms code I've written I don't think I've ever used or
    found a need for a callback on an Input object. In fact, I'd
    personally go so far as to say that the Input object callback should
    be deprecated -- but that's just my opinion.

    However, it's up to TC to change the API if he so desires.

    Do other APIs handle this differently?

    My experience prior to XForms was largely in Motif (urp!) and raw
    Xlib. I've been working with Java Swing lately but don't recall how
    it deals with this.

                                                            spl