Re: XForms: Problem noifying end of input.

From: Ivan Powis (Ivan.Powis@nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 11:55:41 EST

    > I'm not sure I understand the problem. If the input is unterminated
    > (with a Return or Tab) then why should a callback be invoked?

    Because from a user's perspective the input field shows data which has
    been input but which the application is not aware of without being
    advised by the call back? As others have said this behaviour that a
    visible input is not actually valid is not intuitive.

    > In all the XForms code I've written I don't think I've ever used or
    > found a need for a callback on an Input object. In fact, I'd
    > personally go so far as to say that the Input object callback should
    > be deprecated -- but that's just my opinion.

    Well here's an example : input fields which allow a single data item
    to be entered (and visually displayed) in alternative units, depending
    on which is most convenient to the user. The call back is used to
    immediately update the other field so that the two values retain their
    equivalence.

    Given that the whole programming model adopted and encouraged by xforms
    is call-back driven, it seems odd to suggest that one of the most
    fundamental interactive objects should not have the potential for associated
    call backs!

        ___  ___/   _  __ /   Ivan Powis   [Ivan.Powis@Nottingham.ac.uk]
            /         /   /   School of Chemistry
           /         /  _/    University of Nottingham
          /         ___/      Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
         /         /     TEL: +44-115-951-3467
        /         /      FAX: +44-115-951-3562
    _______/  ____/      http://www.chem.nott.ac.uk/IP.html