Re: XForms: xforms open source

From: Yann Guichoux (yann.guichoux@ago.fr)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 03:37:55 EDT

    John Levon wrote:

    > On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 05:18:50PM -0400, Robert Williams wrote:
    >
    > > the xforms list, there were about 450 subscribers. Now
    > > there are about 190. I think it would be good to advertize the
    > > open source nature of xforms in linux-announce.
    >
    > If xforms is indeed to be released under the GNU GPL as suggested previously,
    > the Free Software Foundation would like to discuss the release - can Steve/TC
    > email rms@gnu.org ?
    >
    > regards
    > john

    Hi,
    Does anyone know about the licence under which xforms will be released ?
    GPL ? LGPL (like GTK) ? There is quite a big difference ...
    here is an extract of the GNU documentation :
    "...Using the ordinary GPL is not advantageous for every library. There
    are reasons that can make it better to use the Library GPL in
    certain cases. The most common case is when a free library's features
    are readily available for proprietary software through other
    alternative libraries. In that case, the library cannot give free
    software any particular advantage, so it is better to use the Library
    GPL for
    that library. ..."

    regards

    Yann