Open Source -- the last word (was Re: XForms: Fixlevels again)

From: spl@ncmir.ucsd.edu
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 16:43:02 EST

> Please EITHER sort out the open source debacle OR do
> as Peter requests - bring all the releases to the same
> fix level.

I was going to hold off on this announcement till Monday, when I could
get back to the lab and finish off one or two details, such as a
`README' file and `INSTALL' file, but then I realized Monday is April
1 and nobody'd probably believe me:

        As of April 1, 2002, 12 Noon Pacific Standard Time XForms will
        be available as Open Source, licensed under LGPL.

I've gotten the goahead to release what I have -- I'm going to call it
Version 0.999999999999999 :-) -- and when TC ships me his fixes we'll
have a full up Version 1.0.

For the nonce, it'll be served out of the NCMIR site -- if anyone
wishes to mirror, please let me know. I'll look into things like
Source Forge if that seems like a proper venue. I'm really kind of a
fish out of water when it comes to the details of setting up CVS
repositories, etc.

At some point thereafter, I'll take on the official title of project
lead or whatever the hell people want to call me (other than the names
the usually reserve for pointy-haired induhviduals). News as it
happens.

Watch this space for the official announcement.

My thanks to TC for his hard work over many, many years for making
this possible -- especially for his excellent documentation, both
internal and the XForms manual, without which even the snazziest
package is useless. I can only hope that I'm half -- hell, ten
percent -- the old school hacker he is.

And, of course, to Mark Overmars, who originated the `Forms' library
over a decade ago.

My beaver felt fedora is off to both of you fine gentlemen. TC, I
still owe you a beer from IEEE Visualization in Research Triangle Park
in (what was it?) `98.

Rock and roll.

                                                        spl