Re: XForms: Shared libs

From: Peter S Galbraith (p.galbraith@globetrotter.net)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 23:33:25 EST

spl@ncmir.ucsd.edu wrote:

> I've modified the appropriate `Imakefile's to produce shared libraries,
> should you wish to do so. I haven't had time to modify the README to
> add instructions on this yet, but it's the same "#define" scheme and should
> be pretty obvious. The SONAME for this version is 0.9999.
>
> Again, all of this is provisional, for testing and sniffing purposes
> only. While I don't expect much to change for version 1.0 other than
> naming and whatever mods TC has in store, I'm not making any guarantees,
> either.

I have test Debian packages up at:

  http://people.debian.org/~psg/xforms/

which is apt-get'able using:

  deb http://people.debian.org/~psg/xforms ./

in /etc/apt/sources.list

--
As for my buglets...

It's important for packaging that the jpeg and Xpm libraries aren't statically linked. So I selected:

#define UseSystemXpm YES #define StaticLink NO #define BuildShared YES

(Dynamic linking for fdesign and fd2ps just seemed like the right thing to do).

I'm not an expert, but I had to make some changes in the generated Makefiles to get the desired effect:

In lib/Makefile, I had to add "-ljpeg -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm" to the shared library build, otherwise libforms.so had missing symbols:

(cd .; $(CC) -o ./$@~ $(SHLIBLDFLAGS) -Wl,-soname,$$SONAME $(OBJS) $(REQUIREDLIBS) -lc -ljpeg -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm); \

Similarly, fdesign and fd2ps builds had to link to the new libforms.so library by adding "-L../lib" :

$(CCLINK) -o $@ -L../lib $(LDOPTIONS) $(OBJS) $(LOCAL_LIBRARIES) $(LDLIBS) $(EXTRA_LOAD_FLAGS)

There are probably cleaner ways to accomplish this.

Thanks, Peter