XForms: XForms version 1.0 and administrivia

From: spl@ncmir.ucsd.edu
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 09:59:57 EDT

    Gentlefolk:

    I received TC's Version 1.0 "handover" this morning and will be
    integrating the changes contributed over the last month or so for the
    XForms community. With luck, I'll have a distribution up on the FTP
    site in the next day or so. I abjectly apologize for the delay. Stay
    tuned. I have a lecture to give next week and am frantically trying
    to get prepared for that but I should have a few spare minutes here
    and there. Anyone have any good graphics on Nyquist matching of
    phosphors and CCD sensors? :-)

    Speaking of the FTP site, over the past few days my system
    administrators and I have received a couple of emails, one of them
    fairly nastily accusing us of being bad netizens, from folks who can't
    access the repository because their IP addresses do not map back to a
    registered DNS name. Most often, this has been caused by either some
    firewall misconfiguration or an incorrect up DNS record.

    We have configured our FTP server in this manner as an additional
    security measure in an attempt to keep the "warez kiddies" somewhat at
    bay since it necessary for us to allow anonymous uploads as a service
    to our collaborators.

    This has been seen as overly paranoid and perhaps it is. I will be
    discussing this with my security group and we'll see about lifting
    this restriction or at least augmenting it. If this isn't possible,
    it would be nice if we could re-establish one or more of the mirror
    sites which formerly provided alternative access. Even if we do lift
    the restriction, it would probably be a Good Thing to have a few
    mirror sites around.

    Cheers.

                                                            spl
                                                            XForms Janitor