Re: Never mind - XForms: Old app won't build under 1.0RC4

From: spl@ncmir.ucsd.edu
Date: Sun Sep 01 2002 - 20:35:24 EDT

    > 0.89 had the xpm compiled in the lib. But that's not the
    > policy of present xforms.
    > This fired off quite a discussion already.

    This will be restored in the next release candidate.

    There are some subtleties (and some not so subtleties) regarding
    interaction of 64 bit libraries, `gcc', and various implementations of
    the Sun and GNU loaders that lead me to avoid the use of shared object
    libraries (which are the poisonous spawn of Eris in the first
    place[*]). Thus, I missed a couple of important flags in the design
    of the `Imakefile's.

                                                            spl

    [*] Sometimes I think I spend half my time tracking down and fixing
    shared library incompatibilities. Whoever thought this idiocy was a
    good idea ought to be required to maintain code on several different
    platforms of varying system rev levels. There is a special circle of
    Hell awaiting him or her. It might have made some vanishingly small
    amount of sense in the context of small systems with small disk drives
    but given that one would be hard pressed to find a system worth
    speaking of with under 80 GB these days, the concept pales to
    absurdity, given the myriad opportunities for things to break.

    Case in point (which came up while I was composing this):

            /usr/local/mips-sgi-irix6.5/bin/ld: -shared not supported

    Aaaagh.

    Sorry -- I just spent the last half hour trying to diagnose a problem
    in my virtual mother-in-law's station wagon while being offered all
    sorts of "helpful" advice and I'm understandably cranky. I believe
    there's a nice bottle of scotch calling to me from the pantry.