RE: XForms: Some xforms implementation questions.

From: Matt Yaconis (myaconis@nlxcorp.com)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 08:10:56 EDT

    I see your dilemma...I cannot comment on whether or not xforms can be
    configured to allow all the keyboard input to go to the input object.
    However...

    As a work-around you might consider
    1) adding a hidden input field and giving that object "focus" when you want
    the spacebar to activate your PTT button. (Or add some other mechanism for
    managing that state. One input object on a form ALWAYS has focus when the
    window is active.)
    2) registering a raw callback routine for the form that gets executed
    whenever the user presses a key on the keyboard. E.g.

    fl_register_raw_callback( fd_the_form->the_form,
                              KeyPressMask,
                              key_press_cb );

    This function should handle spacebar presses based on the state mechanism
    you are using for step 1. i.e. either add a space into the current input
    field and return FL_PREEMPT...to stop the event from activating the PTT
    object...or return 0 (or whatever the enumeration is for NOT intercepting
    the event).

    OR you might consider doing the reverse...removing the shortcut from the PTT
    button and having the key_press_cb push the PTT when certain conditions are
    met. (Might cause bad side effects on the push button though...)

    Perhaps this will spark other ideas from people that are a bit less
    cumbersome.