Re: XForms: Makeproblem not yet solved

From: spl@ncmir.ucsd.edu
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 22:46:45 EDT

    > I'm beginning to wonder whether it wouldn't be worthwhile to have a
    > shell script check for the presence of the required libraries and
    > then give the user the option of entering alternative paths if
    > they're not found in the standard places. Can Imake (about which I
    > know nothing) do such things?

    Not really.

    I think that the proper solution is to use the `autoconf', `automake',
    and `libtool' approach. I've played with it off and on but frankly
    the documentation stinks. I even bought the book but it is for an
    earlier version and there is very little correspondence between what
    the older versions of `autoconf', _et_al_ produce and what the current
    versions do.

    If anyone has any experience with these tools in their current
    incarnations, especially in configuring libraries, and has some nice
    cookbook recipes, I'd be interested in seeing them.

    I just spent almost the entire day trying to get XForms to build on
    Mac OS X[1] and all I can say is the cat had better stay out of my way
    for the next little while. Grrr[2].

                                                            spl

    --
    [1] Shared libraries pond scum.
    [2] Just kidding -- I'd never intentionally be mean to a critter.