XForms: XForms 1.0 Installation procedure

From: David Scriven (davidwriter@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 17:59:41 EDT

    I've managed after some trials, to install RC5.1.
    The problems were mostly caused by my not
    realising that there was an old copy of the
    libflimage.so.1.0 in /usr/X11R6/lib.

    I'd like to make some comments about the
    installation on the basis of my experience:

    1. It would make sense to check for the presence
    of various libraries and warn that they should
    be removed and if not, that they are to be
    overwritten.

    2. As far as I know gcc & ldd resolve things left
    to right so if the directory in which the new
    libraries are being created is 'makedir'
    then a statement such as
    gcc -I/makedir/ -I/usr/X11R6/include
     -L/makedir -lforms -lGLforms -lflimage
     -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXext ...

    will use the libs & includes in 'makedir' and not
    be confused by existing libraries elsewhere -
    perhaps the makefile can be changed to do this?

    3. The 00README file & the Imakefile should
    contain a description of the default directories
    for the jpeg, xpm so that you can tell if you
    require to use the "NonStandard" options.

    4. The README should tell what the names of
    the library files being created are and
    where they are put by default.
    Similarly, for the include files.

    Please accept these comments as suggestions, not
    criticisms.

    DS