Re: XForms: Can't compile xforms-1.0RC5.2

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 09:35:14 EST

    On 2 Nov 2002, Darren Freeman wrote:

    > I've tried the source RPM and now I'm trying the tarball. I've never
    >
    > I'm using a fairly standard installation of Mandrake 9.0.

    > I admit that I have no idea what is wrong. Is it because my /lib/cpp
    > link is broken? Where should it be pointing to? Currently it points to
    > /etc/alternatives/lib_cpp

    Yes -- There was a report in Cooker-list that the
    'alternatives' implementation in Mdk 9.0 had some issues. Fix
    the link to point to your compiler, and _that_ issue does
    away. There may be others <frown>

    <rant>
    Why in the world the cruft and linkfarm h*ll which is
    'alternatives' was propigated into real general distributions
    is beyond me -- it is a maintenance nightmare, and confers no
    real benefit to anyone but a 'tire-kicker' who is too cheap
    and lazy to run multiple installations of variant
    'alternatives' -- sendmail vs postfax, gcc vs ???, djbdns vs
    bind, and the list goes on --

    -- The 'freedom' of being able to swap between two
    functionally substantially identically packages is nice for
    testing stuff out -- but if the goal is to get work done, pick
    a tool, and get proficient in it; don't be switching gears
    with 'alternatives'.
    </rant>