Re: XForms: problem with fl_set_idle_delta in 1.0 RC 5.2

From: David Paigen (paigen@heathen.com)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 15:24:57 EST

    # To subscribers of the xforms list from Steve Lamont:
    > David Paigen wrote:
    > > I am doing them in the order you suggest. Early on I define
    > > #define ANLY_IDLE_DELAY 100
    > > #define ANLY_CALC_DELAY 10
    > > [. . .]

    > So the delta is not being set to 0 as you alluded previously (which
    > would actually sets the idle delta to 0.1 times the default timer
    > resolution, currently 50 milliseconds, or 5 milliseconds).

    You caught me with my pants down. I was in the middle of experimenting
    when I excerpted that code. I have tested -1, 0, 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100,
    and 1000 for ANLY_CALC_DELAY. Nothing gets me better than 50 calls per
    second.

    > I suspect that you're running into some form of time granularity
    > problem.
    >
    > Down deep in asyn_io.c in fl_watch_io() there's call to fl_msleep()
    > which, in turn, calls either select() with a timeout or one form or
    > another of usleep(), depending on a #define.
    [...]
    > The following quick and dirty test program demonstrates this.
    [...]

    I tried out your test harness and I see what you mean. I don't
    get anything better than 15 milliseconds. But that leaves me
    even more confused then before.

    I re-installed my binary version of 0.88 (I have no source) and
    tested it and got over 6000 idle calls per second. So something
    strange is going on. There is clearly a major difference between
    the 0.88 idle call handling and the 1.0 idle call handling. I do
    not have source to 0.88, so I cannot explore what asyn_io.c is
    doing.

    Is this a bug? Is this a configuration issue? Can someone who has
    access to both source trees run a diff for me?

    Thanks,
    -David Paigen