Re: XForms: Future xforms development

From: David Paigen (paigen@heathen.com)
Date: Fri Dec 13 2002 - 12:47:08 EST

    > Steve, how do you see future development of xforms panning out? At present it
    > seems to be stagnating somewhat. That may seem churlish, given that you only
    > released 1.0final over the weekend, but it isn't meant to be. I'm merely
    > pointing out the reality of a release that occurred 6 months after you said
    > something along the lines of "absolutely, definitely 1.0 will be released
    > next Friday." I don't recall toooooo much new code going in in the interim.

    After reading the above paragraph, I wanted to insert a bit of real world
    perspective from a professional software development manager.

    The hardest part about developing software is releasing it. I thought
    about the fact that there were five release candidates, and I thought
    about the fact that there was no formal testing procedures, no profit
    motive, and less than the full attention of the release manager. After
    all, he has a real job and a real life.

    Given all that, six months seems like about the right amount of time.
    About one release candidate per month. That gives the community enough
    time to grab, install, and work with the software, and time for them
    to comment back.

    And the last thing you want to do when trying to release software is
    to add any new code. Every change in the source potentially introduces
    new bugs and requires yet another release candidate.

    So my kudos to Steve for a job well and timely done, from a guy who
    knows how hard it can be.

    [ObXForms:]

    I stumbled on xforms about 18 months (or more?) ago when I needed
    a drag&drop gui builder for X. In retrospect, it looks like I
    could have done the job with gtk or qt, but it was not obvious
    that a gui builder was included and they seemed very heavyweight.

    XForms has worked very well for me. It does just about everything
    that I want. I do have some gripes though, and I am willing to put
    in some effort to fix them.

    1. Better documentation. While the supplied manual is very good to
    learn from, it is a lousy developer's reference. The pages are too
    large and take too long to load, the index gives no clue as to the
    nature of a reference or its context, and there need to be man pages
    or a quick reference guide.

    2. OO interface. I can't count the number of times a link has failed
    because I called fl_select_button instead of fl_button_select or
    something like that. A consistent, orthogonal set of C++ classes
    would be great. I think this would be best as an optional wrapper.
    What do you think? I have a not-very-general set I have worked up
    for my current project, but would like more input from people who
    have worked with gtk, qt, and mfc before I propose anything.

    3. Nested tab folders. Maybe. I wanted this at one point but found
    another way to structure my gui. I am not sure if nested tab folders
    are a good idea at all, would they be confusing to the user?

    4. Better resizing support. Or do I not know enough? I briefly looked
    at the gravity stuff quite some time ago and decided there was too
    much to learn for a 1.0 or 2.0 product, so I put it aside. Is it easy?
    Is this my problem, a problem in the documentation, or does the resizing
    issue need better treatment in the api?

    -David Paigen