XForms: Re: libforms

From: Angus Leeming (angus.leeming@btopenworld.com)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 16:21:23 EST

    On Friday 04 April 2003 11:23 am, you wrote:
    > Given that the thing really is "xforms" I propose setting up the project on
    > savannah.nongnu.org. The site can provide a CVS repository, a location for
    > the xforms home page etc. See:
    >
    > http://savannah.gnu.org/faq/index.php?group=savannah
    >
    > If there are no objections, I will register the project over the weekend.

    I have been reading the steps required to register the project here:
    https://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php

    In particular, they require that we include no GIF files on their site. That
    in itself is not a problem, but are there any problems in _reading_ gif
    files? I refer specifically to image/image_gif.c.

    I seem to remember reading that reading gif files does not infringe the LZW
    patent but that writng them does. However, I'm hazy about this. Does anyone
    out there know anything about this?

    I note that the software on my RH8 box _can_ read and display gif images.
    Given that RH are paranoid about such things (they disabled mpg support in
    RH8), I suspect that the code is Ok. Nonetheless, I would value a lil'
    advice!

    The registration process is apparently quite lengthy "one day to a week" and
    quite careful. They check out the source code first. Shall I just set the
    ball in motion and see what they say?

    Angus