Re: XForms: Today's commits

From: Angus Leeming (angus.leeming@btopenworld.com)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 15:33:35 EDT

    On Wednesday 09 April 2003 5:31 pm, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
    > Just to be clear, that should only be done when the programming
    > interfaces change (new function added to library or arguments to old
    > ones have changed). That forces a re-compile of all binary packages
    > that link to XForms.

    Along these lines, could you supply a list of packages that link against
    xforms?

    One of the patches I proposed (the big one!) results in a change to the way
    keypress events are passed to the individual FL_OBJECT widgets. The function
    call is unchanged:
            fl_handle_object(ob, FL_KEYPRESS, mouse_x, mouse_y, key, xev);
    but now key == keysym rather than the equivalent char.

    Eg, key == XK_Escape rather than 27.

    Moreover, in the case of multibyte characters, the function is called only
    once per keypress rather than once per char of the multibyte string.

    This simplifies the code enormously, but will obviously break any apps that
    relied on the old behaviour.

    Fortunately, not many people seem to write their own widgets that require the
    key to be interpreted on a FL_KEYPRESS event. LyX has such a widget, but
    interprets the raw XEvent that is also passed to fl_handle_object. Thus old
    versions of LyX will not break if I make this change.

    If you supply the list of apps, I could check to see which ones (if any) rely
    on this behaviour.

    I guess also, in the spirit of Open Source Militancy, that closed source
    projects are on their own. Ok, Ok, that was tongue in cheek, but if nobody
    replies to these posts then it really is up to them.

    Angus