Re: XForms: Today's commits

From: Peter S Galbraith (GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 13:31:13 EDT

    Angus Leeming <angus.leeming@btopenworld.com> wrote:

    > On Wednesday 09 April 2003 3:01 pm, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
    > > Sorry for being so dense...
    > >
    > > If the library soname doesn't change, why would client code be
    > > recompiled?
    > >
    > > (It's currently libforms.so.1 and not libforms.so.1.0.0, right?)
    >
    > It's probably me being dense. I don't know how you lot build your packages.
    >
    > But I do know that a normal autoconf/automake-based build will lead to
    > recompilation if any of the header files on which the source code
    > depends are changed.
    >
    > Thus, if you, a user, track xforms cvs changes and 'make install' each time
    > you update your local tree, then any other source code you compile that
    > #includes <forms.h> will be recompiled too. There is a manual step: you have
    > to type 'make' to recompile this other source code...

    Yeah. I didn't see that a `make' context was used. I thought binary
    incompatibility was discussed.

    > Do you plan to track cvs with you Debian packages?

    No, not as long as development goes well.

    > if not, then the above is
    > all moot. When we release something official, we'll most certainly up the
    > soname.

    Just to be clear, that should only be done when the programming
    interfaces change (new function added to library or arguments to old
    ones have changed). That forces a re-compile of all binary packages
    that link to XForms.

    Peter