XForms: keyboard entry and threads

From: defilippo@lns.infn.it
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 06:25:25 EDT

    Hi,

    I had the same problem, also if XInithreads works very well on Solaris 7,
    where I don't need to use mutex protections.

    On Linux sistems the use of Xinithreads hangs the process when you hit
    the keyboard. The only solution I have found on Linux is do not use
    XIniThreads, hoping that mutex protection is sufficient
    to resolve the problem of multiple call to Xlib routines.
    A thing that I have not well understood is if the loop

    while(1){
         timeout.tv_sec = 0;
         timeout.tv_usec = 10000;
         select(0, NULL, NULL, NULL, &timeout);
         pthread_mutex_lock(&Lock);
         fl_check_forms();
         pthread_mutex_unlock(&Lock);
       }

    have to be used only in the main loop code or also in all secondary
    forms (when the program is constituted by multiple forms).

    Anyway, ... to found why XIniThreads does not run properly on Linux
    would be the best solution.

                                                             Enrico