XForms: autoconf/automake patch

From: Angus Leeming (angus.leeming@btopenworld.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 14:12:51 EDT

    I think that the switch to autoconf/automake is ready to go. Find the patch at
    http://www.devel.lyx.org/~leeming/auto.diff.bz2
    It's 94kB in size.

    I've tested that all is OK on an RH8 linux box and on a DEC Alpha running
    Tru64 Unix 4.0e with the native compiler chain (including DEC's make).

    To try it yourself, you'll need a bang up to date copy of the xforms cvs
    repository and GNU's autoconf and automake (a bunch of perl scripts and m4
    macros). The patch supports autoconf >= 2.52. I don't think that there is any
    special automake requirement.

    Thereafter, from the top level directory I ran:
    $ bunzip2 auto.diff.bz2
    $ patch -p0 < auto.diff
    $ sh autogen.sh
    $ mkdir build
    $ cd build
    $ ../configure --prefix=$PWD/test-install --with-extra-prefix=/usr/local
    $ make
    $ make install

    to place the required libraries, executables and header files in
    ./test-install. Note that I got a bunch of automake warning messages running
    autogen.sh on the DEC (automake 1.5) together with complaints about "No
    suffix list" when running make, but these seem harmless. There are no
    warnings at all from automake 1.6.

    Ditto "make dist" will result in a file xforms-1.1cvs.tar.gz and "make
    rpmdist" will build the rpms.

    cygwin and OS2 support is broken, if only because of the lines in
    configure.ac:

    #ifdef __EMX__
    #include "support/os2_defines.h"
    #endif

    #if defined(__CYGWIN__) || defined(__CYGWIN32__)
    #include "support/nt_defines.h"
    #endif

    These files don't exist, so if you want to try this stuff out on cygwin or
    OS2, I suggest that you simply comment out the offending lines and have a go.

    I'll probably leave this for a few days to allow the motivated to try it out.
    Thereafter, I'll shove it in the repository.

    All comments / feedback / suggestions are of course welcome.

    Regards,
    Angus