Re: XForms: autoconf/automake patch

From: Angus Leeming (angus.leeming@btopenworld.com)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 16:59:04 EDT

    On Wednesday 23 April 2003 1:19 pm, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
    > To continue on my previous remark (which still has not made it to the
    > list) about most of HAVE_ preprocessor symbols being useless, the
    > following shell hack gives me a list of useful defines:
    >
    > schuss: for sym in `grep 'undef HAVE_' config.h.in | sed 's/#undef //'` ;
    > do grep -qr "#.*$sym" [^ac]*/ && echo $sym; done
    > HAVE_DECL_SNPRINTF
    > HAVE_DECL_VSNPRINTF
    > HAVE_GL_GLX_H
    > HAVE_SNPRINTF
    > HAVE_STRCASECMP
    > HAVE_STRERROR

    > Since only these defines are actually used, I propose to remove all
    > other tests.

    In general, I'm in agreement with you. The tests are in simply because
    autoscan flagged them up as worth testing for. However, there is still stuff
    in lib/local.h that should eventually make use of a few of the currently
    unused tests.

    > Then there are other defines that may or may not be useful:

    Let's leave configure.ac as-is for the time being. I'm much more concerned
    with the state of lib/include/Makefile.am which is a gross hack (because I
    don't know the right way to do it). All I want to do is to generate forms.h
    from all these other header files. Surely it can't be that hard really?

    Angus