Re: XForms: autoconf/automake patch

From: Angus Leeming (angus.leeming@btopenworld.com)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 17:07:46 EDT

    On Wednesday 23 April 2003 12:49 pm, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
    > It seems to work up to now. A few comments (I do not provide a patch,
    > unless you commit your patch first).
    > ** In autogen.sh:
    > - the check for GNUM4 is not needed.

    Ok. Thanks

    > ** In configure.ac:
    > - the version 1.1cvs is not the same as the version in forms.h
    >
    > - I am not sure that you need the following lines:
    > PACKAGE=xforms
    > VERSION="1.1cvs"
    > but then XFORMS_CHECK_VERSION should look at PACKAGE_VERSION variable.

    Thanks. Ideally I think that we should generate the version info in forms.h
    from whatever info is in configure.ac. Is that possible?

    > - why not generate config.h in lib/ ?
    No reason. I'll do that.

    > - the check for M4 is not needed.
    Thanks.

    > - did you check that the HAVE_foo defines generated in config.h are
    > actually used somewhere? If not, it means that the library used to
    > compile without them and you should remove the tests altogether
    As reported in a previous reply: in general, I agree, but we should first do
    the right thing with lib/local.h

    > - I think you can remove the following:
    > XFORMS_CHECK_DECL(mkstemp,[unistd.h stdlib.h])
    Thanks.

    > - I think you can safely remove the whole AH_BOTTOM thing.
    Ok.

    > ** When building I get a _lot_ of warnings about unused parameters,
    > but I guess you know that already.
    That's because I turned warnings on ;-) Perversely, I don' think that C allows
    us to not define the variable in the argument list.

    > ** running: some of the demos do not run when building outside of
    > source tree
    Really? Your tests have been more thorough than mine then. I did not spot
    this.

    Angus