Re: XForms: autoconf/automake patch

From: Angus Leeming (angus.leeming@btopenworld.com)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 07:43:03 EDT

    On Thursday 24 April 2003 9:56 am, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
    > Angus> Thanks. Ideally I think that we should generate the version
    > Angus> info in forms.h from whatever info is in configure.ac. Is that
    > Angus> possible?
    > You should first define the version number in a way that is compatible
    > with forms.h. 1.1cvs does not cut it. What about using numbers
    > starting from 1.0.90 like xfree (or 1.0.50 if you expect lots of
    > prereleases) for prereleases of 1.1.0? Then it should be easy to
    > generate AAA.h from a AAA.h.in at configure time.

    Aieeeee! Don't you hate numbering schemes!

    I think we should be able to differentiate between "stable" and "development"
    branches of the cvs repository. Perhaps we should use FL_REVISION to flag
    this? Odd numbers: development. Even numbers: stable.

    #define FL_VERSION 1
    #define FL_REVISION 2
    #define FL_FIXLEVEL 3

    Bug fix 3 of the stable xforms 1.2 release.

    #define FL_VERSION 1
    #define FL_REVISION 1
    #define FL_FIXLEVEL 3

    This is the xforms 1.1 development cvs tree, with internal tag 3.

    As you suggest, pre-releases could be flagged as 1.1.90 etc.

    Does this sound reasonably coherent?

    I guess that we need a macro that initialises these 3 variables and then does
    the substitution to AAA.h.in...

    > >> ** When building I get a _lot_ of warnings about unused parameters,
    > >> but I guess you know that already.
    > Angus> That's because I turned warnings on ;-) Perversely, I don'
    > Angus> think that C allows us to not define the variable in the
    > Angus> argument list.
    > We use '-Wall -W' now, I think -Wall may be more adapted to C. With
    > gcc, we may want to try -ansi and/or pedantic.

    Indeed, removing -W removes the warnings. I tried -ansi, but compilation
    fails; let's deal with that later.