Re: XForms: autoconf/automake patch

From: Jean-Marc Lasgouttes (Jean-Marc.Lasgouttes@inria.fr)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 05:56:00 EDT

    >> ** In configure.ac: - the version 1.1cvs is not the same as the
    >> version in forms.h
    >>
    >> - I am not sure that you need the following lines: PACKAGE=xforms
    >> VERSION="1.1cvs" but then XFORMS_CHECK_VERSION should look at
    >> PACKAGE_VERSION variable.

    Angus> Thanks. Ideally I think that we should generate the version
    Angus> info in forms.h from whatever info is in configure.ac. Is that
    Angus> possible?

    You should first define the version number in a way that is compatible
    with forms.h. 1.1cvs does not cut it. What about using numbers
    starting from 1.0.90 like xfree (or 1.0.50 if you expect lots of
    prereleases) for prereleases of 1.1.0? Then it should be easy to
    generate AAA.h from a AAA.h.in at configure time.

    >> - did you check that the HAVE_foo defines generated in config.h are
    >> actually used somewhere? If not, it means that the library used to
    >> compile without them and you should remove the tests altogether
    Angus> As reported in a previous reply: in general, I agree, but we
    Angus> should first do the right thing with lib/local.h

    I did not know that local.h existed...

    >> ** When building I get a _lot_ of warnings about unused parameters,
    >> but I guess you know that already.
    Angus> That's because I turned warnings on ;-) Perversely, I don'
    Angus> think that C allows us to not define the variable in the
    Angus> argument list.

    We use '-Wall -W' now, I think -Wall may be more adapted to C. With
    gcc, we may want to try -ansi and/or pedantic.

    >> ** running: some of the demos do not run when building outside of
    >> source tree
    Angus> Really? Your tests have been more thorough than mine then. I
    Angus> did not spot this.

    These are the demos which need xpm files or demo.c which needs the
    demo.menu file. I do not know what to do about that, maybe create
    symbolic links...

    JMarc