Re: XForms: autoconf/automake patch

From: Angus Leeming (angus.leeming@btopenworld.com)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 09:29:06 EDT

    On Thursday 24 April 2003 12:01 pm, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

    > >> Are you using libtool to build the lib? If so you must read about
    > >> libtool's numbering scheme.
    > >>
    > >> info libtool
    >
    > Angus> I have read it. This is _nothing_ to do with the versioning
    > Angus> scheme we are talking about. See "The Autobook, 11.4 Library
    > Angus> Versioning"
    > Angus> http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/autobook/autobook_91.html
    >
    > Hmm, thinking more about it, I think this has a lot to do with the
    > versioning we want to introduce. So we should maybe have a scheme
    > where people can rely on the version number to know what compatibility
    > to expect.

    Here is my take on what has happened since xforms 1.0 was released:
    * All interfaces present in xforms 1.0 are still present now.
    * The information passed to/from these interfaces is unchanged.
    * No new interfaces have been created.
    * enum FL_EVENTS has two new values appended to the end.
    * libformssnp has been swallowed up into libforms, but this is an internal
    change. The public interface is unchanged.

    Bugfixes
    * "Composite" widgets, such as the browser, can now display tooltips.
    * prevent a crash when rotating grayscale images by 90 degree multiples.
    * Enable xforms to handle XPixmaps containing colour "opaque".
    * Enable tabfolders to be resized when dragginf the corner of the window.

    Libtool defines the library as Interface:Revision:Age
    Since the interface is unchanged, I think that Interface remains as 1 and Age
    == 0. A number of internal changes have taken place. Thus Revision == 1.

    I'm a bit confused by Age, however. Have I got this right?

    Moreover, any subsequent changes to the internals (in cvs) that do not change
    the Interface with simply increment Revision. Thus, we should increment
    revision on every single commit.

    Is that right? I'm not convinced that I understand it correctly.
    Angus