Re: XForms: autoconf/automake patch

From: Jean-Marc Lasgouttes (Jean-Marc.Lasgouttes@inria.fr)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 11:22:21 EDT

    Angus> I have done so. Over to you ;-)
    >> First, we have to decide about a version numbering scheme. I will
    >> not be able to parse 1.1cvs into three numbers.

    Angus> Coward!

    Me? Of course. I am only a french guy, after all...

    Angus> Actually, I think that we should go with your suggestion of the
    Angus> xfree versioning scheme. The libtool stuff is entirely separate
    Angus> and we really shouldn't tangle them together.

    That's OK.

    Angus> PS, I had a go at the macro. Is it really as simple as:

    Angus> dnl Usage XFORMS_SET_VERSION(Version, Revision, Fixlevel) dnl
    Angus> Sets variables FL_VERSION, FL_REVISION, FL_FIXLEVEL.
    Angus> AC_DEFUN(XFORMS_SET_VERSION,[ FL_VERSION=$1 FL_REVISION=$2
    Angus> FL_FIXLEVEL=$3 # Used in xforms.spec.in ???
    Angus> FL_VERSION_INFO="${FL_VERSION}.${FL_REVISION}.${FL_FIXLEVEL}"
    Angus> AC_SUBST(FL_VERSION) AC_SUBST(FL_REVISION) AC_SUBST(
    Angus> FL_FIXLEVEL) AC_SUBST(FL_VERSION_INFO) ])

    Since we are restricting ourselves to autoconf 2.5x, you can even do:

    dnl Usage XFORMS_SET_VERSION(Version, Revision, Fixlevel)
    dnl Sets variables FL_VERSION, FL_REVISION, FL_FIXLEVEL.
    AC_DEFUN(XFORMS_SET_VERSION,[
    AC_SUBST(FL_VERSION, $1)
    AC_SUBST(FL_REVISION, $2)
    AC_SUBST(FL_FIXLEVEL, $3)
    AC_SUBST(FL_VERSION_INFO, $1.$2.$3)
    ])

    Of course, it would be more exciting to parse automatically VERSION
    (which we have to provide anyway) into separate variables.

    And you will have to add an entry for lib/include/AAA.h in the
    relevant AC_INPUT.

    JMarc