Re: XForms: autoconf/automake patch

From: Angus Leeming (angus.leeming@btopenworld.com)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 13:18:59 EDT

    On Thursday 24 April 2003 3:22 pm, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
    > Angus> Coward!
    > Me? Of course. I am only a french guy, after all...

    As always you are more than a match for me ;-)

    > Since we are restricting ourselves to autoconf 2.5x, you can even do:
    > dnl Usage XFORMS_SET_VERSION(Version, Revision, Fixlevel)
    > dnl Sets variables FL_VERSION, FL_REVISION, FL_FIXLEVEL.
    > AC_DEFUN(XFORMS_SET_VERSION,[
    > AC_SUBST(FL_VERSION, $1)
    > AC_SUBST(FL_REVISION, $2)
    > AC_SUBST(FL_FIXLEVEL, $3)
    > AC_SUBST(FL_VERSION_INFO, $1.$2.$3)
    > ])
    >
    > Of course, it would be more exciting to parse automatically VERSION
    > (which we have to provide anyway) into separate variables.
    >
    > And you will have to add an entry for lib/include/AAA.h in the
    > relevant AC_INPUT.

    Rather than parse VERSION, why not construct it. Attached seems to do the job.
    Comments?

    Of course, it will cause a re-compilation of the source tree anytime
    autogen.sh is run. Could we not change AAA.h to
    extern int FL_VERSION;
    extern int FL_REVISION;
    extern int FL_FIXLEVEL;
    and put the variables themselves in (say) version.c.in?

    Sigh, I guess not. These things are hardwired to ensure that the header file
    and library are the same.

    Angus