Re: XForms: a spreadsheet window in Xforms ?

From: Reed Riddle (drriddle@qwest.net)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 18:37:43 EDT

    One thing I have learned working with my current application (which
    makes liberal use of the xyplot widget) is that fl_freeze_form is your
    friend! :) If I were going to build this, I would have the cells set
    so they returned when changed (after the user hits Enter or clicks
    another cell). Then:

    1- freeze the form
    2- do the calculation on the changed cell
    3- check to see if any other cells are affected
    4- do the calculation on those
    5- repeat 3 & 4 until there are no more calculations to do
    6- clean up and unfreeze the form

    Freezing and unfreezing each cell is going to be monstrously slow. Just
    freeze the entire form, do the calculations and unfreeze at the end;
    this will force an update to the display, and all the cell values will
    "magically" change. :) I don't know if this will actually work, but
    it's where I would start.

                                            Reed

    --
    Dr. Reed L. Riddle
    Associate Director of Whole Earth Telescope Operations

    "This life has been a test. If it had been an actual life, you would have received actual instructions on where to go and what to do." -- Angela Chase, "My so-called life"

    _________________________________________________ To unsubscribe, send the message "unsubscribe" to xforms-request@bob.usuhs.mil or see http://bob.usuhs.mil/mailserv/xforms.html XForms Home Page: http://world.std.com/~xforms List Archive: http://bob.usuhs.mil/mailserv/list-archives/ Development: http://savannah.nongnu.org/files/?group=xforms