XForms: Re: XForms is LGPLed!

From: Angus Leeming (angus.leeming@btopenworld.com)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 07:04:29 EDT

    On Thursday 22 May 2003 8:14 am, you wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > It seems XForms is LGPLed now. That's a great news.
    > XForms becomes an alternative to gtk2.
    > We plan to port our graphic application from xlib to a lgpl toolkit an it
    > seems that
    > xforms api is much simpler than gtk.
    >
    > What's the future of xforms ?
    > What is the feeling of the authors (why and when LGPL)?
    > Are you the new maintener?
    > Is a win32 port possible?
    > What do you think about fltk?
    > xforms vs other LGPL toolkits?
    >
    > sorry for all these questions but we are really interested in xforms.
    > thanks for your help.
    >
    > alain.rouge@enac.fr
    > http://alain.rouge.free.fr

    Hello, Alain. Please direct such things to the list. Others may be better
    placed than I to answer your questions. I have cc-ed the list so that they
    are informed too. (You must subscribe in order to post but this is a low
    volume mailing list...)

    Anyway, to answer your questions.
    > What's the future of xforms ?
    to evolve gradually. No big changes are planned. One pretty big user of xforms
    is LyX (www.lyx.org) and I plan to move a couple of widgets (eg a combox) out
    of LyX and directly into xforms. Others have there own agendas of course.

    > What is the feeling of the authors (why and when LGPL)?
    I don't understand. It is already LGPL.

    Yes. The project page is http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/xforms

    > Is a win32 port possible?
    > What do you think about fltk?
    > xforms vs other LGPL toolkits?
    I am the wrong man to ask. My take on xforms is that it is simple and it
    works. It is not 'pretty'. It provides a thin encapsulation of the raw X11
    api in most common cases, but not all. If you want to do something tricky,
    then you must use X11 direct. This is a good thing IMO, but presumably
    suggests that a win32 port is unlikely.

    Angus