Re: XForms: Towards xforms 1.1

From: David Scriven (davidwriter@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 14:09:13 EDT

     --- Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
    <Jean-Marc.Lasgouttes@inria.fr> wrote: > # To
    subscribers of the xforms list from
    > Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
    > <Jean-Marc.Lasgouttes@inria.fr> :

    > <davidwriter@yahoo.com> writes:
    >
    > David> # To subscribers of the xforms list from
    > David Scriven
    > David> <davidwriter@yahoo.com> : One thing I
    > think should be fixed is
    > David> the naming of the libraries and include
    > files
    >
    > I am not sure we want to do that now. While the
    > naming of libs is
    > indeed inconsistent, we do not want the new
    > version to break programs
    > which already work with the old one.

    Thats why I suggested that old names and links
    be retained so that nothing would be broken

    ie. glcanvas.h
    would now contain:
    #warning "This header is obsolete - use
    formsGL.h"
    #include "formsGL.h"
    and formsGL.h would contain the present contents
    of glcanvas.h

    Nothing would break - you would just get a
    warning message on compilation.

    Similarly flimage.so would contain a link
    (via ln -s) to formsimg.so which would link
    to formsimg.so.1, etc, and flimage.a could
    link to formsimg.a. Thus no legacy programs
    would break.

    Whether this is worth the minimal effort reqd
    I leave to others, but my request comes from
    experience - people coming to me with problems
    in compilation & linking of pgms written in
    XForms (which I had recommended to them) and
    finding that I had to dig around for the correct
    includes and libraries. Note that some libary
    names changed recently - with the advent of
    version 1.0

    DS