Re: XForms: xforms and threads

From: Nicolas Castagné (nicolas.castagne@imag.fr)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 15:27:02 EDT

    Hi Eddie,

    i do not have the time now to give a close look to your gdb backtrace.

    However...

    Note that XForms and X11 are not 'thread safe', in the sense you should
    not perform calls to the XForms or X11 libs from different threads. The
    graphic calls and event handling should be performed in a single
    thread. Threads sould be used only to manage the core of your
    application (such as computing datas, handling files, etc.).

    In addition, note :
    1) that since OpenGL is somehow thread-safe, you may manage GL objects
    from different threads (provided you are carreful). You may find
    various "threads" cocnerning that point in the list archive
    http://bob.usuhs.mil/mailserv/list-archives/ .
    2) that most GUI toolkits you may use have the same 'problem', as far
    as I know.

    Wish it could help !

    Nicolas

    Le mardi, 27 mai 2003, à 20:51 Europe/Paris, eddie a écrit :

    > I added XInitThreads() before I create the thread that runs this
    > entire application, but now the program, without the application
    > actually beginning to send data to these forms, 'hangs' at the main
    > loop:

    Nicolas CASTAGNE
    Computer Music researcher

    Association pour la Création et la Recherche sur les Outils d'Expression
    Laboratoire Informatique et Création Artistique
    INPG,
    46 av. F. Viallet, 38000 Grenoble, France.

    Docteur en Informatique Musicale / IHM.

    pro : (33) 4 76 57 46 60
    fax : (33) 4 76 57 48 89