Re: XForms: fdesign wibnis

keith tang (tang@pcpros.net)
Fri, 06 Jun 1997 14:11:56 -0500

Frank Stefani wrote:

> keith tang wrote:
> > I find my applications will not receive keyboard input if the mouse
> > pointer is outside of the form boundries even though the form remains
> > selected. Is there an fl_ call to change this characteristic so the key
> > will still remain active with the mouse pointer positioned outside of
> > the form?
>
> Outside the form? Does it mean the pointer is on the window manager
> background?

That is correct. For example, I can be entering text into an input
object and
by sliding the mouse pointer off the active form, the input object will
stop
receiving key input. The input object will process input the moment the
pointer
is move back within the boundries of the active form. The form does not
become
de-selected, or at least does not appear to be de-selected. I do not
think it
is caused by the window manager because only Xform applications
demonstrate this
characteristic.

We have two X86 linux boxes and both show the same charactistic.

>From what I have seen so far, this appears to be the normal mode of
operation
for Xforms. I would like to know if this assumption is correct.

The applications we are writing are going to be used in production and
are
mainly key driven. Handling a mouse tends to slower than key
operations. It
confuses the operators or at best becomes an annoyance when their
keyboard all
of a sudden stops working because the mouse pointer slid off the form.
It would
be better for our applications if the keys remained active until another
application was selected with a mouse click.

> If so and the forms border is still highlighted you may want to
> check the window manager configuration concerning the keyboard
> focus.

"ClickToFocus" in the wm is enabled. Once again, only Xforms behave
this
way.

> (1)
> Generally, you can do 'fl_whatever()' calls as far as the mouse
> pointer is within any xforms form.

No 'fl_set_keys_everywhere()' call to disable the 'within xforms'
constraints?

--
Keith Tang - Instr Spvs
Marathon Electric Mfc Co