Re: XForms: Xforms as a plugin

Andy Bruss (abruss@anim.dreamworks.com)
Wed, 01 Apr 1998 15:51:35 -0800

Steve Lamont wrote:

> > I'd like to use the xforms library for plug-ins to several 3D packages.
> > The problem is that the 3D packages demand to be run most of the time
> > which causes problems with Xevent handling. I can set up handlers
> > within the 3D package to take care of the plugins Xevents, but I'm
> > having trouble making my Xforms windows a child to the 3D packages. Is
> > there a way to initialize the xforms library without creating the X
> > windows equivalent of a whole new application?
[edited..]

> Can you be more specific about the sort of interactions you desire?

Specially, I'd like a non-modal window to pop up in a 3D package and
have the user be able to interact with both the xforms window and the 3D
package at the same time. I'm already using fl_check_forms(); it seems
to work ok if the cursor is in the 3D package's main window. I've added
an Xevent handler through the package's API which simply calls
fl_check_forms(), so things are as expected if the cursor in the in the
3D pkg.'s main window. When I move the cursor into the xforms window,
no xforms event handling occurs. I can move the cursor back into the 3D
package's main window and the event handler immediately plays
"catch-up", processing the button-clicks (etc.) that I may have tried
while the cursor was in the Xforms window. I'm glad that the event
"catch-up" is happening, but I don't understand why the events aren't
being handled in the xforms window in the first place.

May initial thinking was that this problem was caused from not parenting
the xforms window to the 3D application. Is this correct? I'm not an X
windows expert so any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
Andy