RE: XForms: Color Problem with Xforms

Danny G. Holstein (danny@holstein.tritonetd.com)
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 14:30:25 -0400 (EDT)

On 20-Aug-98 Robert James wrote:
>:
>
>I've been struggling with Xforms for almost two weeks, and have managed to get
>some things working pretty well on my SPARCstation 20 running SOLARIS 2.4. But
>one thing which seemed minor at first could grow into a major problem.
>
>Everytime I execute one of my newly-created binaries I get a printout:
>
>"Failed to share colors. Using private colormap." I don't really know what the
>ramifications are here. But after that statement appears my form is displayed
>and it does everything it should do except that the background color is always
>gray. I've tried a half dozen different commands that should have some sort of
>control over the background colors of the form, all with no success.
>
>Being as new to this as I am I can do little more than stumble around, making
>trial and error attempts to fix it unless anyone can come up with any
>suggestions?

Suggestion #1: Don't worry about it!

Suggestion #2: Find the application that's using up all your colors and kill it
(that might be difficult if it's your window manager, easy if
it's netscape)

Suggestion #3: Fix your x-server to 24-bit color video.

Basically, the only ramifications are that you are out of video colors, I'm
fairly certain nothing bad will happen.

...Dan