Re: XForms: Solaris linking problem

vsexton (vsexton@sirinet.net)
Tue, 01 Sep 1998 20:34:20 -0500

David Birnbaum wrote:

> I recently downloaded xforms 0.88 (and 0.86, and 0.81) and was attempting
> to build another application which required it. However...the linking
> phase failed with a message:
>
> ld: elf error: file /opt/xforms/0.88/lib/libforms.a: unknown type, unable
> to process using elf(3E) libraries
>
> I took a look at the library, and it doesn't appear that the binary lib
> is of the right type - it really isn't an ELF file, nor will ld link the
> libforms.so.0.88 version. I double and triple checked that I was indeed
> downloading the version marked "Solaris" -

> is anyone else out there
> successfully building with Solaris 2.5.1 and gcc?

I installed xforms 0.88 on a Sun Ultra (using a recent version of Solaris - I am
at home now, and do not remember the correct version), AND I installed it on a
Sparc 20 using Solaris 2.5 (may be 2.5.1) using gcc. I did not have the kind of
problems you had with linking, I had a couple of undefined symbols which seem to
have been corrected when I used the libs in /usr/dt. I will see if I can remember
to get all the details for you asap, but I am not sure there is anything there to
help you. Have you tried doing an elfdump (or odump on some Solaris) to check out
the libraries? If they check out there, then your problem may lie elsewhere.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Veronica Sexton