Re: XForms: static linking, Solaris 2.5 vs Solaris 2.6

Amit Bhatnagar (amit@cs.dal.ca)
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 22:10:43 -0400 (AST)

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Steve Lamont wrote:

> > Under Solaris 2.5 we were able to link statically, using the
> > -Bstatic flag. However, that binary wouldn't run on Solaris 2.6, generating
> > an error saying that the display can't be opened. We then tried to
> > recompile on Solaris 2.6 and got an "undefined symbol" error in the
> > X11 library during the link phase. We were able to successfully compile
> > and run only by surrounding the "-lX11" with -Bdynamic in front and -Bstatic
> > after.
>
> What was the undefined symbol? I link under Solaris 2.6 with no problems.

I have sometimes gotten that error too, but it was really just an error
message saying that it couldn't connect to the Xserver. Before launching
your application (using that 2.5 binary), try "xhost +". This fixed the
problem for me.