Re: XForms: file selector enhancement suggestion

Tristan Savatier (tristan@mpegtv.com)
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 14:17:45 -0700

T.C. Zhao wrote:

> I don't think *.{a,b,c} is a regular expression as defined
> by ed. It's more of a shell thing.

Yes, you are right, I should have written something like
.*\.(mpg|mpeg|MPG)

For example egrep recognizes extended regular expressions of the form:
'.*\.(c|h)' that would match all the *.c and *.h files.

Right now the pattern matching expression in the file
selector is more like a shell matching expression,
not as powerful as a regular expression.

> In any case, yes, it would
> be nice to be able to parse something like that.

Or maybe add an 'advanced' mode of file selector for regexp pattern
matching.

But I personally think that there are many other things more important
than that to improve xforms file selectors. For example the ability
to see the size of the files, to sort the files by size, date etc (a la
win98),
also it would be nice to regroup all the directories at the beginning
of the list. Also, a way to be able to select a directory (rather
than a file), to create a directory (useful when saving files), etc.

-t