RE: XForms: Problems with glibc2.1?

Dirk Evers (dirk@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE)
Fri, 28 May 1999 19:12:05 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

this reminds me of a famous/funny bug in (tcl)/tk some years ago.

1. No space left in color palette.
2. tk want's to display an error message and inform the user. Nice idea!
3. Open a new window.
4. Error messages are important. We wan't to catch the users eye!
So...
Better write the message in bright red letters...
5. Allocate a color... Oops, no colors lefts...
Got to generate an error message.

Ad infinitum...

The lesson: Doing interaction in a situation where resources are limited
is a dangerous thing!

Cheers
Dirk
PS: Sorry for not providing a complete solution to the actual problem at ha=
nd.
But I couldn't resist. ;-)

On 28-May-99 Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
># To subscribers of the xforms list from Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
># <Jean-Marc.Lasgouttes@inria.fr> :
>=20
>=20
> Hello,
>=20
> We have had several reports of LyX breaking under redhat 6.0 in
> particular when xforms tries to display an error message (not enough
> colors, for example). Are there some known problems with xforsm 0.88
> and glibc 2.1?
>=20
> JMarc

---
Dirk Evers / AG-PI / Technische Fakultaet                      Office: M3-1=
20
Universitaet Bielefeld                                  Tel: +49 521 106-29=
05
Postfach 100 131                                        FAX: +49 521 106-64=
11
D-33501 Bielefeld                 EMail: mailto:dirk@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.=
DE
Germany        URL: http://www.TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE/techfak/persons/dir=