Re: XForms: Why xforms?

Kevin Mulholland (kevin.mulholland@siemens.co.uk)
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 07:08:09 +0000

"Juan Sigüenza" wrote:

> I'm experienced user of Qt and GTK, but i must do a
> app for university using xforms. I like the way of
> forms, but i wonder why i must choose xforms as
> library for development under X11?

Its a simple to use environment, all you have to write for most small
apps is callback functions, this means you don't have to consider much
of the forms library to produce an X Window program. It allows your mind
to seperate the interface from the problem at hand.

The interface is of couse built with fdesign, and like most GUI builders
allows you to design the layout of windows, all it needs is an
integrated editor (or a link to an editor) so that call back functions
can br written at the same time to make it complete.

All this said, when you need to use the forms library you will find that
many of the functions are self similar, and of course there are not too
many of them (which seems to be the case with GTK/Qt) that it is
possible to consider the whole set whilst building your app, from
scratch if required, this I cannot do with other X toolkits

--
Kevin Mulholland (kpm)
Phone internal x5464, external +44 161 688 3464