Re: XForms: TAB navigation

From: Steve Lamont (spl@blinky.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 08:21:37 EDT

    > Realistically, if we are going to use TAB based navigation (and this seems to
    > be what my users expect) then it should be applied consistantly. Users are not
    > aware that there is a distinction between single and multi-line inputs (and
    > there is no reason why they should be).
    >
    > The problem I have is that there is a multiline input field in the middle of
    > a form.. TAB navigation stops at this point, which rather de-values it and
    > confuses users.

    This behavior is consistent with other applications. Netscape, for
    one, exhibits the same behavior when filling out forms.

    Unless you're going do disallow the use of tabs in multiline input (a
    bad idea, IMHO) there's really no way around it.

    I suppose it could be made an API option but the inconsistency between
    applications could "devalue" it as much as anything else.

                                                            spl