Re: R: XForms: Threadsafe

From: Steve Lamont (spl@blinky.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 14:25:47 EDT

    > Unfortunately I tried it and it is too slow for real time
    > functions, like updating motor coordinates. They jump and
    > are not updated smoothly , so it is impossible to control
    > motion manually while checking them.

    It looks as if I stand corrected regarding threads and X -- though I
    haven't tried any experiments yet, reading through the O'Reily Xlib
    manuals leads me to believe that the danger in X is reentrancy (it is
    not reentrant), rather than concurrency, though there is a somewhat
    ambiguous mention of threaded and multiprocessor architectures that
    gives me pause.

    You might try wrapping the XForms calls with pthread_mutexes. That
    would be something of a kluge but it would be a workaround.

    It's worth a try.

                                                            spl