XForms: XForms 0.86

From: Peter S Galbraith (GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 09:51:16 EST

    XForms 0.86 is still an alternate library available on Debian
    GNU/Linux (V0.88 and V0.89 are also packaged). However, V0.86 is
    libc5-based and since it also depends on xpm4.7 I'm told it no
    longer works with XFree 4.0 (I don't have XFree 4.0 installed
    myself yet, so I can't confirm this). It will be therefore be
    removed from Debian's `testing' distribution, codenamed `woody'.

    I don't think it's used by many users. Thus, I am planing to
    have it removed from Debian's `unstable' development distribution
    as well. Do you all think this is a good idea? Any reason I
    shouldn't?

    To put this in context, as soon as XForms is Open Source I plan
    to upload it to Debian proper (the `main' archive that gets on
    official CDs) and then call for the removal of all currently
    non-free (in Debian parlance) versions as soon as all Debian
    packages that depend on them are rebuild using the free library.
    So this would simply be removing V0.86 earlier than V0.88 and
    V0.89.

    Thanks for input,

    Peter S Galbraith <psg@debian.org>
    Debian maintainer for XForms