XForms: downsampling data before plotting via xy_plot

From: zaphodb (zaphodb@wanadoo.nl)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 10:45:26 EST

    Hi All,

    I've been using the xy_plot routine a lot and only recently I noticed
    that when trying to plot a huge number of items in one window,
    sometimes nothing is shown at all although it is apparent
    that the window is refreshed.
    I'm talking about plotting an audio signal as a waveform here.

    Another thing of course is that given a specific screenresolution
    it does not seem to make any sense to try and plot more points in
    a plot than there are pixels. This is also a waste of processing time.
    So what I'm wondering about now is
    whether someone has (already) come up with some sort of
    downsampling paradigm to reduce the number of points to plot
    to the sensible number (i.e. hor. or vert. resolution)
    (avoiding aliasing of course).

    Greetz,

    Z.