Re: XForms: Strange behaviour of File Selector

From: Michal Szymanski (msz@astrouw.edu.pl)
Date: Sun May 20 2001 - 11:31:39 EDT

    > I had some strange problems with running my xforms programs on the new
    > Xfree86 version 4.0.0.2 platform.
    > My programs Siboplot and Dsp-sim both use the fselector component. These
    > programs run fine on XFree86 version 3.x.x, but on a machine with Xfree
    > 4.0.0.2 I cannot double click on directory names to open directories as I
    > was used to do. The strange thing was that when running Siboplot after a few
    > double clicks the program responded on thos clicks, after that the behaviour
    > was normal. This didn't work with the program Dsp-sim. The routines wich use
    > the fselector are almost identical, so why this different behaviour?
    > N.B. I tried it with different windowmanagers, because I thought it was a
    > windowmanager problem, but this effect was independent of the windowmanager.
    >
    > Who can tell me more about this ?

    I've seen exactly the same behavior change between XForms 0.88 and 0.89
    in an XForms application I wrote for telescope control. The fselector
    goodie does not respond to a few first double clicks. After that it
    starts to work normally. I've noticed this on Solaris 2.5.1, Solaris 2.8
    and Linux RH6.2/XFree86 ver. 3.3.6. This is surely correlated with
    XForms version change, as the very same source linked with 0.88 works
    fine. I was unable, however, to reproduce this problem in a simple test
    program. Also the fselector DEMO program works fine. That's why I did
    not report this to the list. Now as I've read Marien's post, I can
    guess it might be some real program with XForms and not my app.

    For the time being, I had to go back to 0.88 which I regret deeply as I
    would like very much to be able to use fl_image routines for displaying
    images.

    regards, Michal.

    --
      Michal Szymanski (msz@astrouw.edu.pl)
      Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND